- Feedom Freedom Growers collectively foster food sovereignty by creating a new culture of work and cooperative economics. Through art, education, and growing food, we are cultivating self-reliance that sustains the life of our developing communities.
- The center of our work is our vegetable farm, which we run using 100% organic practices and covering almost half of an acre of once-abandoned city lots. We grow produce which we eat, share, trade, and sell to the community, both at the farm and at Eastern Market.
We also live out our mission through a variety of programs.
- Art in the Garden Program
Through Art in the Garden, we work with youth of all ages to promote garden awareness through art. Our resident artist, Wayne Curtis, provides creative vision: “Art is an expression that comes to me like that of a writer who uses words to describe and raise to consciousness the values and mores of a culture.”
- Cooking Fresh/Living Fresh
In our seasonal Cook Fresh workshops, we educate youth and their families on the nutritional values of fresh foods, and we demonstrate how to creatively prepare seasonal produce to make it fun and delicious.
- Roundtable Discussions
Roundtable discussions are forums through which we engage in our own political education and invite others to do the same. Discussions cover a variety of topics connected to the food system, food justice, sovereignty, and autonomy.
- Youth Mentor Program
Youth from the ages of 11-17 have the opportunity to build community with us for six months of each growing season. Our youth mentors help maintain the farm through composting, planting, harvesting, marketing, and selling produce. Our youth bring food to the community and work with additional young folks in the neighborhood to learn the ins and outs of running a small farm. Mentors also have the opportunity to develop critical analyses around social justice issues, and to build their leadership skills by facilitating roundtable discussions.
- We would like to bring our art and cooking programs to you. Let us know if you would like Feedom Freedom to facilitate a workshop or roundtable discussion for your group.